Being unprepared is such a terrible feeling, and it has happened to me more times than I can count. If I forgot to put extra diapers in the diaper bag, my toddler needed one. Sheer panic if I didn’t have a needed snack, or what my husband and I call the “emergency stash”. Forgetting any of my toddler diaper bag essentials could easily ruin a day. With almost every outing, we would start taking mental notes of what we needed to have packed. It could vary depending on the season and the particular outing, but the essentials stayed the same.
My husband and I love to go on day trips, spending much of the day outside. Our diaper bag is an absolute necessity. My favorite toddler diaper bag is the Ruvalino diaper bag, https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-RUVALINO-Multifunction-Maternity-Waterproof/dp/B07C3SWZXK?th=1 on Amazon. It is the same bag we have been using since my little one was a newborn. It has held up for two years! It’s been perfect for my little ones daily essentials. It has many compartments, and makes things easy to find.
Here is a list of what I consider to be the toddler diaper bag essentials:
- Diapers- I always have at least 4-5 diapers packed. I like to have a couple extra, just in case I forget to restock.
- Wipes- you can never have enough wipes. Whether it’s for changing a dirty diaper, or washing their face after icecream.
- It’s always a good idea to have a thin changing pad packed. I love the one that came with our bag. It is light, thin, and easy to clean.
- Travel size aquaphor. This is perfect if your little one has a little diaper irritation. It is so tiny, that it doesn’t take up too much space. It’s also great if your toddler has some chapped skin, especially in the winter.
- An extra pair of clothes. You never know when you’ll need a clothing item. It’s always a good idea to have an extra pair of socks and even a light sweater. When my little one was tiny, I would even pack an extra shirt for myself!
- Little bib and a set of baby utensils. This is perfect for going out to restuarants. My little one is very independent, but the restaurant utensils are always too big for him.
- Sippie cup. Always have a means for your toddler to drink water.
- Snacks- always, always carry snacks! Some of my favorite go-tos are the fruit/vegetable packets goldfish, and some type of fruit bar. We also keep an emergency chocolate and lollipop stash. This emergency stash is particularly favorable if we are traveling and the days are long. The sugar isn’t ideal, but when we are taking a family trip, it can be a well deserved treat.
- Small toy. My little one loves the little fidget spinners/poppers or a little toy car. Just something for your toddler to figit and play with. I prefer smaller items, so they don’t take up too much space.
- Comfort items such as a binky or a lovey. We always, I mean always carry his lovey with us. He actually has multiples of the same one!
- Medications- Always clear them with your pediatrician. When my little guy was teething or feeling unwell, we usually had his medication on hand, just in case.
These have been our staples for our toddlers diaper bag essentials. Our little one’s are so unique, and their needs differ. It is truly a learning process. This list is a result of many mishaps, and oh-no’s. I would recommend taking mental notes of your toddlers needs, and adding/ editing the list that I have provided for you. And remember, this is hard! Toddlers can be hard! Have grace on yourself, you’re doing a great job!
Do you have anything in particular that you like to have that’s an essential for your toddler? I would love your feedback!