The German sauna experience is extremely unique, and may be intimidating if you don’t know what to expect. To experience a German Aufguss sauna treatment, is to be fully immersed into the German Sauna Culture. Therefore, to have this experience, one must have an understanding and acceptance of German sauna etiquette.
To learn more about the Aufguss treatment and my first experience check out my post: https://harmonizingthechaos.com/german-nude-sauna/
First and foremost, these German saunas are nude. That’s right, nude meaning naked! Not only are the saunas nude, but they can be mixed gender. It took me fully immersing myself in a sauna treatment to wrap my head around this concept.
Embrace The German Sauna Culture With An Open Mind
Although nudity may be a bit of a culture shock, it is widely accepted and normalized in Germany and other European countries . As soon as you can accept this way of life, embracing the German sauna culture becomes a little bit easier. Once you get out of your comfort zone, you can truly allow yourself the oppoprtunity to enjoy it as well!
German Sauna Etiquette
- As I have noted, nudity is normalized and accepted. People don’t come to the saunas to meet others, it’s not a dating scene. The reality is, no one cares what you look like. This is quite liberating! Basically, nudity is not a suggestion, but a requirement. This includes clothing of any kind, including swimsuits and robes. This requirement allows everyone to be naked, together, experiencing the same treatment.
- Adults of all ages are allowed regardless of body shapes and sizes. It is a place of acceptance. That being said, it is incredibly rude to stare.
- People wear robes in the main sauna lobby.
- All robes and shoes will be placed in the designated areas right outside the sauna. Enter only with a towel.
- The towel should be draped out in a way to sit, and to be placed under your feet. The idea is to have no bare skin on the sauna wood. This is primarily for hygienic purposes.
- Although it is understandable if someone needs to leave in the middle of a treatment session, it’s frowned upon. The seating arrangements are a critical component of the intensity of the treatment. Picture stadium seating, the higher you sit, the hotter the treatment. Work your way up, and start with the lowest seats.
- This is a treatment where people come to relax, therefore It’s proper etiquette to be silent. The atmosphere of the sauna area, including the lobby, is relaxing, and an area of tranquility.
All in all the German sauna experience is unique, and understanding the etiquette is important for everyone to enjoy the experience. I would encourage anyone, if given the opportunity, get out of your head. You may just love how liberating it is!